Partnership in Patriotism - American Legion B. Leo Dolan Post 410 - Main Goal





Partnership in Patriotism



B. Leo Dolan Post 410

Service Main Goal of Legion Post 410



Since it's organization Sept. 26, 1919, the goal of B. Leo Dolan Post 410, American Legion, has been one of service.

The following veterans signed the application for Charter as a Post of the American Legion: Thomas W. Callahan, Klare F. Covert, John M. Colvin, Nicholas H. Dowd, Frank T. Kearn, Nicholas J. Loftus, Andrew C. O'Brien, Alexander Campbell, Edward E. Cain, David E. Jeffrey Sr., Mark T. Lambert Sr. Robert J. McCormick, George W. Riley, Donald H. Waite and Harold H. Smith. Directors were William Dolan, Nicholas H. Dowd, the latter two being the first delegates to the County Convention of the American Legion.

The local Post has been quartered in various meeting places: Lambert's Hall, George W. Riley's Office in the F&M Bank Building and City Hall. The first meeting held in the old Washington Hose House on Niagara Street was held Oct. 13, 1922, and the hall has been known as the American Legion hall from that date.

Ground was broken for the prsent building in July 1948, and the building was dedicated Dec. 11, 1949. It is one of the finest American Legion Homes in the State of New York.

During WWII, the Post held going away dinners for local draftees on their induction into the armed services. The Post has been active in youth activities, such as Junior Baseball, Boys State, High School Oratorical Contest and others. In 2000 the Post started awarding a scholarship to a deserving High School graduate in memory of Gene Garlock who was bingo chairman for 38 years plus other positions of leadership in the Post. Gene died on Feb. 11, 1999.

During it's existence, the Post has supported a senior drum and bugle corps, two senior bands, a Sons of the Legion band, and is currently supporting a prize-winning Color Guard. The Post previously had a Color Guard from 1926 to 1949.

A large number of active Legionnaires, too numerous to mention, have contributed their time and energy to build the Dolan Post to it's present place in the Legion.

Dolan Post is ably assisted by it's Ladies Auxiliary Unit 410 and the Sons of the Legionnaires Unit.

 

[Post 410 Home Page]







Color Guard** Auxiliary** Our Goal

In Memoriam** Sons Of TAL** What is a Vet?** History** Photos