Formalized in May of 2000, Partnership in Patriotism originated with an alliance between the Lockport City School District and the Barge Canal Optimist Club, a local youth service organization and affiliate of Optimist International. Not only has this intergenerational initiative been a unique and highly successful response to New York States character education
mandate, but it has also become an annual tradition within our community.
Beginning each September, preparatory activities culminate on November 11th with students actually participating in our local Veterans Day ceremony. Children, from grades four through twelve, participate in a highly emotional, two part poetry recitation with adults. Evolving from a classroom initiative that won national attention in 1998, Partnership in Patriotism has now grown to a six member community coalition. Through its focus on patriotism, children are provided with age appropriate activities that effectively enable them to:
- understand the true meaning of Veterans Day
- appreciate the sacrifices made to guarantee our precious freedoms
- become part of the greater community through volunteerism
- practice the values of respect and responsibility
- connect performance standards in both Language Arts & Social Studies to real life activities
Implemented at a total cost of only $125, this award winning program has touched the lives of both children and adults in our community!